The Greenhouse Program promotes artistic growth in emerging Chicago dancemakers with financial support for the research or development of new work with mentorship from an established/mid-career artist. In July 2019, up to four dancemakers will each be awarded $4,000 to support their creative process as they develop new work over the course of three months. To apply, an emerging dancemaker must have the committed involvement of a mentor. An additional $1,000 will be awarded to the mentor.
The Greenhouse program supports individual dancemakers no matter the context in which they create work (solo practice, partnerships, companies, collectives and collaborations). Additional Greenhouse Program support includes: rehearsal space throughout the grant period, marketing on the Chicago Dancemakers Forum website, social media and e-newsletters during the grant period, and at least one group dialogue and response session with fellow Greenhouse artists and their mentors.
Chicago Dancemakers Forum invites artists who represent the full geography of Chicago, with broad diversity of dance discipline, age, race/ethnicity, and expressions of gender to apply. Please note that artists may apply for either the Lab Artists program or the Greenhouse program, but not both.
ELIGIBILITY & SELECTION CRITERIA
Chicago Dancemakers Forum invites dancemakers living in Chicago and vicinity who identify with the following statements to apply:
- I have 2-4 years of dancemaking experience, creating at least three works in that time; I consider myself to be an emerging artist.
- I am currently and actively engaged in dancemaking in the greater Chicagoland area.
- I have the capacity and the to fully participate and to benefit from artistic interchange with a mentor from July to October 2019.
A competitive application demonstrates...
- A body of quality and distinctive work for an early-career artist
- Clear artistic vision
- Commitment level of the mentor and match with the applicant
- Potential for artistic growth during the program
- Greenhouse artists' primary residences must be located in the greater Chicago metropolitan area during the duration of the program (July - October 2019). Applicants with dual-residency will not be considered.
- Students enrolled in degree programs at the time of application are not eligible for the Greenhouse program.
- Artists previously funded through the Lab Artists program are not eligible to apply.
GREENHOUSE APPLICATION & PROGRAM TIMELINE
The Greenhouse Program application is a one-step process. There are no fees to apply.
- May 7, 2019: Application Deadline
- June 2019: GREENHOUSE Artists Announced
- July 2019: Chicago Dancemakers Forum Awards Celebration
- July 2019: Artist receives $4,000 grant
- August 2019: Mid-point meetup
- October 2019: Developing work showing
- October 2019: Mentor receives $1,000 stipend
A COMPETITIVE APPLICATION WILL BE:
- unique to you,
- and honest.